At Hackney & Leigh we have been looking after our satisfied clients for over 30 years and have experienced, knowledgeable staff on hand to guide and advise you. During our preliminary discussions with you, we will provide advice on the processes involved, current legal requirements and on any work we feel may be required to your property to make it ready for letting and to achieve the best level of rent.
As a private landlord, you will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the many pieces of legislation which apply to let property (eg. Safety Compliance Tests, Tenancy Deposit Scheme, Housing Safety Regulations and Housing Acts). Failure to comply can have serious consequences, both financial and practical, perhaps even leading to an inability to recover possession of your property. Many individual landlords are unaware of the ever increasing amount of legislation, potentially leaving themselves open to prosecution.
Our Range Of Services At Hackney & Leigh
- Free market rental appraisal and advice
- Explanation of the current regulations and legislation
- Arrangement of the Energy Performance Certificate
- Arranging safety certificates and inspections
- Property details including pictures and floorplans
- Extensive marketing: Lake District Property Paper, internet, office display and To Let boards
- Accompanied viewings
- Identifying suitable tenants and processing applications
- Arranging credit and personal reference checks
- Preparing appropriate tenancy agreement
- Photographic inventory/schedule of condition
- Collection of rent (let only 1st month)
- Collection and registration of deposit
- Notify utility companies – Gas, Electric, Water and Council Tax
- Periodic property inspections
- Ongoing property management and rent collection
- Service of relevant formal notices as required
- Renewal of annual safety certificates and inspections
- Day to day accounting, detailed monthly statements and arrears management
- Property management and tenant liaison
- Arrangement of maintenance, repairs, servicing etc
- Pre-move out inspections
- Final move out inspections
- Release of security deposit and associated mediation
- Arrange any works required following move out
- Review rent, market and re-let property
Consumer Protection From Unfair Trading Regulations (2008) (CPR’S)
These regulations apply to the letting of property and neither landlords nor agents should say anything to mislead applicants by falsely describing properties, concealing any relevant matters or failing to disclose material information which may have a bearing on an applicant’s decision. Both landlords and agents are liable to prosecution for providing false or misleading information.
We do not recommend that Landlords retain part of the property for storage or their own use. This may create a liability for Council Tax, which the local authority may seek to recover from the landlord if the tenant leaves without paying. Our tenancy agreement requires tenants to be responsible for payment of Council Tax but getting it back after the tenant leaves could be difficult.
Energy Performance Certificates
Any property being let requires an ‘Energy Performance Certificate’ (EPC), giving tenants a rating and information on a property’s energy efficiency and environmental impact. It may also show landlords how to improve energy consumption, potentially making it more attractive to prospective tenants.
We can arrange for an Energy Assessor to contact you and complete an inspection of the property. They can provide advice on how to improve the property’s rating. A certificate for property is valid for 10 years and costs £72 (including VAT).
It is proposed that from 2018 properties with an EPC rating of ‘F’ or ‘G’ will not be eligible for letting!
For more information go to: www.direct.gov.uk.
If you would like to arrange for the Energy Assessor to visit your property please contact us, alternatively feel free to email using the below form.